Friday, September 14, 2007

After a month of so of roving.....er roaming!



I'm back! What? No clue I was gone eh? Oh well. The Birmingham Festival of Quilts was inspiring and overwhelming! and just a great time. Several hundred quilts of inspiration and sadly I was 7000 km away from my sewing machine... so what's a girl to do? overcompensate by purchasing several hundred pounds of .... "stuff" (pounds as in the British equivalent to $). I am swimming in threads, cottons, dyes, fat quarters, needles... and basically anything else that caught my fancy and I was sure you couldn't get at the Northern Store. The photo on the left show just a small sampling...(btw I'm rather proud they actually made it into a drawer and are not littered about on the floor). Unfortunately I'd left my 'studio' (my grandiose word for closet) in such a mess at the end of July, that I couldn't do anything once I got home anyways, and what with start of term stuff, it wasn't until last weekend that I actually got to get at it again.

I do mean to update on the festival. Sales opened at 10:00 am on Saturday and at 11:15, someone came up to me and told me I'd sold out! My response to that? I cried.. and then promptly had to go and throw up. I only had 12 pieces and some were small - but I honestly never suspected that everything would go. I do mean to try and post some photographs of the finished work - since all I've posted so far were photos of the WIPs. The photo on the right was made during the festival and sold about 30 seconds after being priced. They graciously sent me a photo of it framed.

Now, I've turned my attention to continuing exploring "thread painting". I've worked up some sketches of some more drum dancers and have some painted. Also did another of the landscape that was so popular. Not sure if I'll put any in the craft sale or not, but I've had some requests for commissions. I hate commissions! I don't think I live up to the pressure and expectations at all well.

Enough rambling for now - threads are calling....

No comments: